Feedback, implemented successfully, can deliver significant return on investment. However, a robust planning and implementation process is essential to eliminate the potential pitfalls. Full Circle Feedback has successfully used the following proven implementation process with many clients.
Project Planning and Preparation
The first phase of the feedback program requires a collaborative process focusing on clarification of the project aims, objectives and policies, development of a consultation and communication strategy, and customisation of the methodology to meet client needs. Full Circle Feedback works closely with our client to ensure that:
- Key aims and objectives of the project are clarified
- Key learnings from previous projects are understood
- Key stakeholders are identified and their needs are understood.
- Steering Committee/governance process is understood and in place
- 360-degree feedback policies are defined and agreed
- The FCF methodology is understood by client staff and customised to meet specific needs of the client, the participants and the raters
- Appropriate program timelines and schedules are established and agreed
- Consultation and communication strategies are established and agreed
- Define benchmark parameters
Design the Detailed Implementation Process
The next phase is to reach agreement about the precise methodology to be employed and to design the implementation process. We work in partnership with our client to develop a detailed project plan that outlines the roles and responsibilities of all consultants and client staff who will be contributing to the design and implementation of the project. This phase involves the following actions:
- Detail the project plan and gain sign off
- Develop and implement the consultation and communication plan
- Design the client project page on the FCF website
- Design and develop briefing and program materials
- Confirm required report formats
- Clarify key roles, accountabilities and responsibilities for the project
Design and Validate the Survey, Reporting and Feedback Parameters
In this phase, the survey and key project parameters are designed and validated. Based on our experience, different surveys are usually required for different levels in order to achieve the most successful outcomes. This may involve the following:
- Gain an understanding of client competency models and history
- Examine previous surveys that may have been used
- Consult with appropriate personnel and key stakeholders to gain further insights
- Design the project parameters (e.g. rating scales, participant groupings, rater sub group categories, format and timing for release of paper and on-line feedback reports, Results Tracker communications and timing, etc.)
- Design and road test the surveys with a cross section of personnel, including potential participants and raters in focus groups to gain face validity
- Confirm the survey and project parameters with the client and obtain sign off
Project Action to Administer the Feedback Process
Feedback processes require highly efficient, timely and effective administrative processes and operational support. At Full Circle Feedback this phase is managed by the FCF Project Manager and the FCF Bureau. The FCF Bureau maintains open communication with the Project Manager and the client project team through the Project Action phase. Actions include the following:
- Brief participants and raters on the project aims, policies and process
- Enrol participants and ask them to confidentially register their raters. FCF does this on-line via hyperlink to the client's web page on the FCF website.
- Provide participants with orientation information to prepare for receiving their feedback. FCF prompts participants to visit the orientation, on line coaching modules and support resources on the Full Circle Feedback website.
- Contact all raters and ask them to complete their surveys. FCF does this via a hyperlink to the survey and a confidential password
- Follow up outstanding surveys. FCF usually achieves a survey response rate greater than 98%.
- Ensure sufficient raters have completed the surveys for each participant to allow the feedback report to be released without breaching the confidentiality of rater responses
This phase generally involves the following actions:
- Generate unique FCF feedback reports for each participant
- Generate Group Reports for agreed project sub groupings
- Generate Group Reports for the entire project
- Print reports (if required) and deliver according to agreed policies and plan
- Full Circle Feedback also releases feedback reports and action plan to participants on the web via hyperlink and confidential password (timing for this action to be in accordance with policies and plan)
- The Full Circle Feedback system produces comprehensive, high quality reports with a range of optional profiles.
- FCF reports use graphics, colour, words and numbers to help the participant and facilitator. The reports cater for a range of different learning styles and are designed to enhance the learning process and experience.
- As a Performance Management tool, Full Circle Feedback is designed to provide a wealth of valuable development information.
Participant Feedback and Development
Effective facilitation and delivery of the feedback is critical to the success of the project. The individual and collective actions that participants take as a result of receiving their feedback is what will make a difference to the performance of the Client and the working careers of the participants. FCF has extensive experience in this area. This phase includes the following actions:
- Facilitate individual one-on-one feedback sessions
- Facilitate feedback in Group Workshops where necessary. Workshops should be conducted in a forum that also allows for confidentiality and caters for the needs and concerns of each individual
- FCF sends Results Trackers to participants at defined intervals over the 12 months following the feedback
- Individual and/or Group Feedback sessions draw insight and awareness from the feedback. Participants should be assisted to identify the type of development need (knowledge, skill or attitude development) and to explore ways in which their identified development needs can be met.
- Participants should be supported to develop a strategically focused development plan that seeks to optimise the link between a development activity and subsequent behaviour change.
Produce Project Reports, Benchmark Report and Present at Workshops
FCF has benchmark data from working with a large number of organizations over many years. In this phase, FCF will:
- Produce management reports by functional areas
- Facilitate feedback sessions with key stakeholders to examine collective results
- Analyse results and produce a benchmark report against other organizations in line with the parameters defined and agreed in the planning stage
FCF develops evaluation instruments in consultation with the client, analyses evaluation data and provides a written report and comments on the value of the process.
Planning methods and processes
FCF has developed rigorous project planning processes and templates during many years running projects.
We know how to map appropriate timelines and how to roll out 360-degree feedback projects. We know the critical points in the project and have an extremely high success rate in meeting project deadlines. We know all the steps involved in developing realistic plans and how to ensure goals are achieved.
At the commencement of a project, the FCF Project Manager works with the Client to establish the detailed project plan. A RACI Chart is developed in partnership with the Client Project Manager and team. RACI provides a matrix project plan that works as follows:
- "R" Responsible (identifies who will be doing what)
- "A" Accountable (identifies who is accountable for every output: where the “buck” stops)
- "C" Consulted (identifies who needs to be consulted for each action/output)
- "I" Informed (identifies who needs to be kept informed)
The RACI chart details the schedule and maps timeframes and accountability against every action.
FCF has rigorous processes and project templates that have been developed and refined through many years experience.